Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Lower-Fat BBQ Shrimp

Now, I am mostly not a fan of low-fat this and low-fat that, and while in general I fight the good fight to lower my cholesterol and weight on a daily basis, I definitely enjoy full fat versions of things that should be so. BUT, I am perpetually in search of variations on a theme, the theme being delicious food that is lower in fat than an original version. The following was my mission today:

BBQ Shrimp

Most recipes, including the famous one from Pascal Manale's in New Orleans, include an obscene amount of butter/margarine/olive oil. 
(For your reference, one version of the Pascal Manale's recipe, there are many floating around on the internets:
5 lbs of jumbo head-on shrimp (don't bother to make it if you don't leave the heads on)
4 sticks of butter
4 sticks of margarine
1 bottle of Worcestershire sauce
5 lemons, squeezed
1 bottle of cracked black pepper (yes, the entire bottle)
Combine the above (with the lemon peels) and bake at 350 for approx 30 min.)

I was not up for this! But I was craving something yummy, I had some shrimp, and I was hungry...so here is what I came up with:

Lower-Fat BBQ Shrimp:
1 lb of shrimp, shells on, heads on is a plus. I much prefer wild shrimp, and find they aren't that much more expensive, especially if you do what I do, and buy them in multiple one lb packages and freeze them.
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon hot sauce (I like Crystal brand)
1 tablespoon BBQ shrimp seasoning (I like French Market brand) or Cajun spice mix (I like Tony Chachere's)
bunch of fresh ground black pepper, say about 1/2 teaspoon if it was packed into a measuring spoon
juice of one lemon
What I would have added, if I had it in the house:
dash white wine, sprinkle of parsley at the end

Melt the butter and add the olive oil to a pan on medium high heat. Add the garlic and cook briefly, then add the Worceshester sauce and seasoning, and mix. Cook for about 30 minutes, then add the shrimp, in the shells. Mix and cook over medium high heat for a minute, then add the lemon juice and the wine. Turn heat to high, keep mixing and cooking until all shrimp are pink. Do NOT overcook. You can serve with crusty French bread or over rice. Top with chopped parsley, if you have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment